Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Alamas Walk - Graphic Novel Reviews


I love this book!

“The images remind me of my childhood looking at pictures from African storybooks. They inspired me so much. I became a refugee at 11 and was shuttled from one refugee settlement to another around Africa. But the images of my African childhood stayed in my head. When I was still a child and safe in my ancestral land, I looked at the colourful pictures of Africa I could connect with. The graphic novel is truly a gift that I hope will reach far and wide amongst young African readers.


I want to send some copies to children in refugee camps in Africa, and to my nieces. This is gold. It's a treasure for us! I love the maps. For now, the graphic novel has been sending me to sleep remembering Africa. "


Njamba Koffi

author of Refuge-e: The Journey Much Desired.


I am grateful for the warmth of both the illustrations and the story

“I am struck by the layers of translation of embedded meaning enacted by the journey from physical objects like the walking sticks and leketyo, to written narrative inspired by them, to graphic illustration of both the words and the objects themselves. The sensory movements between and across emphatically material entity, written word, and drawing are so complex and intriguing. The sense of time and ambulatory tempo that I found so soothing in the book are terribly difficult to replicate in a much shorter graphic form of course but I found the passage of the day and Swahili time powerfully conveyed in Sadiq's illustrations - especially via the shadows on the earth. I also loved how richly saturated the colors are - the intensity of reds, oranges, yellows and pinks that vibrate from the pages and adumbrate sky and ground are so evocative, especially when seen in the gloom and rain of early January in England! I particularly like the way the notations of color in the ground have a textured patina to contrast the softer burnish of the sky - of course this helps suggest the physicality of natural features like sand and water, but it also adds to the sheer optical shimmer which is enveloping at points despite the modest page size. I am grateful for the warmth of both the illustrations and the story.”


Jonathan Shirland, PhD

Associate Professor of Art History

Department of Art & Art History

Bridgewater State University

MA 02325



Delightful story!

“This finely written and beautifully illustrated story reveals our age old yearning for peace and a sense of community. No matter your cultural background, geography or present day politics, Alama’s Walk - The Oracle Speaks is sure to gently tug on your heartstrings, give you pause for reflection, and help you realize once again the common humanity and simple desires we all share, and which bind us together. A truly refreshing read in these troubled times; Alama’s Walk is a story that transcends its East African setting and cultural heritage and speaks prophetically to all of us.”


Amazon reader review


Preview the graphic novel on Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment