Friday, July 2, 2021

Process of creating a graphic novel page






Many people have asked me about my graphic novel creation process, now that I’m on my third graphic novel I have a pretty refined process. Although the creative process is dynamic and I like to keep it open and fluid.


This time I am the illustrator and not also the author like for my previous books. I wondered how it would work collaborating with someone, that is would I loose my autonomy and my fluid creative process. Well it turns out that I am really enjoying the collaboration especially after self isolating for over year. Although most of collaboration takes place online and over the phone.


In a nutshell after the story script is done, I make a storyboard and review it with the author, after some back and forth a polished story board with text emerges. Then I get to do the final artwork, page layouts and panel designs. Even at this stage there is a back and forth between the illustrator and the author, lots of tweaks, edits, adds and discards. This is why I go with digital as edits as they are easier to manage. Typically I complete one or two pages a day which equates to four to six panels (pictures,) so essentially it is a full time job. 


In this example, I have included a page from my sketchbook and short video of my digital creation process using an app called Procreate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment